This homemade Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing is going to be your go-to thick and creamy dressing for all of your dipping and drizzling needs. It's higher in protein and heart-healthy fats, making it a great healthier option to keep in your fridge at all times. All you need is 8 simple ingredients!
📋 About the Recipe
- Healthy alternative to Hidden Valley ranch dressing. Swapping your favorite store-bought dressings with homemade versions is a great way to make easy, healthy changes in your family's diet. Once you master this homemade ranch dressing, make sure to try these other homemade staples: Instant Pot Tomato Sauce, Lemon Dill Yogurt Sauce, Pumpkin Salad Dressing, and Tangy Pomegranate BBQ Sauce.
- Made with pantry staples. Instead of fresh herbs, this ranch dressing is made with dried herbs and spices so you can whip it up in a matter of minutes whenever you need a homemade dressing or healthy veggie dip.
- Made with real ingredients. Instead of using a packet of ranch seasoning, this healthy dressing is made with just 8 real food ingredients you can recognize and pronounce.
A few notes about the ingredients:
- Greek yogurt - The base of this ranch dressing is of course, Greek yogurt. It's thick, creamy, and provides a luscious texture that's very similar to creamy Hidden Valley ranch dressing. For best results, I highly recommend using full-fat Greek yogurt. Low-fat varieties often replace the missing fat with sugars or other additives to replace the flavor.
- Mayonnaise - For the best depth of flavor, I like to add mayonnaise to my healthy ranch dressing for it's added creamy, savory, tangy flavor. To make this dressing as wholesome as possible, use a store-bought mayonnaise made with oils like avocado oil or olive oil instead of soybean oil. Or, make a homemade mayonnaise with simple ingredients!
- Milk - A splash of milk helps thin the dressing to your desired consistency. If you are using this ranch dressing as a dip, use less. If using as a homemade salad dressing, use a bit more!
- Dried herbs - Iconic ranch dressing is filled with the flavors of herbs and spices. To replicate this classic ranch flavor, I've created my own ranch seasoning using a blend of spices you likely already have in your pantry!
⁉️ Substitutions and Alterations
- Yogurt alternative - Greek yogurt is the preferred choice, but sour cream can make a great substitute in a pinch.
- Milk substitution - Replace the milk with any unsweetened milk (dairy or non-dairy). Or, when needed, water can work, too. Avoid using too much water, however, or the flavor of your healthy homemade ranch dressing will taste watered down.
- Combine the seasonings. In a small bowl, combine the dried parsley, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add the mayonnaise, plain greek yogurt, and milk into the same bowl. Whisk to combine until all of the seasonings are well incorporated into the dressing.
- Add more milk, as needed. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add additional milk until your desired consistency is reached.
- Serve. Serve your ranch dressing immediately, or refrigerate in a glass, airtight jar like a mason jar until sufficiently chilled.
❄️ How to Store
To store: When stored in an airtight glass jar, homemade Greek yogurt ranch will keep for up to 5 days. Before using, stir well to combine all of the flavors and discard if the dressing develops any discoloration, mold, or has an off odor.
Can I freeze Greek yogurt ranch dressing?
Freezing this dressing is technically possible, but not recommended. Dairy separates when frozen and this change in texture is not appetizing upon thawing.
🔍 Recipe FAQs
Regular yogurt will work, but it won't be as thick and creamy as Greek yogurt. Additionally plain yogurt is not as tangy as Greek yogurt and will change the overall flavor of the dressing.
In addition to drizzling this creamy dressing on your favorite salads, it can also be used as a ranch dip. Serve it with your favorite raw veggies, or delicious appetizers like Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings, Garlic Parmesan Wings, and Air Fryer Pizza Rolls.
It also makes a great dip for pizzas like Mediterranean Pizza and Mushroom, Sausage, and Arugula Pizza.
Fresh parsley and dill can be used in place of dried herbs, but note that dried herbs are much more concentrated in flavor. To compensate, you'll need to use about ½ to 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs in place of ½ teaspoon dried.
💭 One More Tip
Use less milk, depending on how you plan to serve this ranch! If you want a thick vegetable dip, use the milk moderately. If you would like a runnier salad dressing, add milk until you reach your desired consistency.
🍴 Related Recipes
Share your cooking with me! If you make this recipe, I'd love to know! Tag @yourhomemadehealthy on Instagram or leave a comment with a rating and some feedback at the bottom of this page!
Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk plus more as desired
- Whisk seasonings (dried parsley through black pepper) together in a bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, greek yogurt, and milk. Whisk to combine until all seasonings are well incorporated into the dressing.
- Add additional milk, until you reach your desired consistency.
- For a thicker veggie dip, slowly add in the milk until it reaches your desired consistency. If you'd like a runnier salad dressing, then add more milk until desired.
- You can make a large batch of the seasonings ahead of time. Store them in a sealed container in your pantry, then when you need ranch, just simply add the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, and buttermilk to 2 ½ teaspoons of the mixed seasoning.
Want more recipes like this delivered right to your inbox? Be sure to subscribe above and never miss a thing!