This 3-Ingredient Strawberry Smoothie Bowl is a great addition to your weekly breakfast menu! It's naturally sweetened with fresh fruit and blended with a little bit of almond milk into a thick, dreamy consistency. Enjoy with strawberry slices, granola, and coconut shreds for a nutritious, wholesome meal.
📋 About the Recipe
- Ideal quick breakfast - If you're looking for an easy breakfast idea made with fresh ingredients, this delicious strawberry banana smoothie bowl is a great option. It's ready in 10 minutes or less and can be doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled to feed the whole family!
- Healthier sweet treat - If you're looking for a healthier way to replace your after dinner bowl of ice cream or afternoon can of soda, this naturally sweet smoothie bowl is the perfect thing. Or, you may also like these banana fudge popsicles.
- Easy to customize - This smoothie bowl can be altered to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. Use your favorite milk, fruit, and toppings to make these strawberry smoothie bowls your own!
A few notes about the ingredients:
- Milk - I like to use almond milk to make this smoothie bowl dairy free, but any milk of choice will work well here. Try coconut milk, oat milk, cow's milk, flax milk, etc.
- Strawberries - For the best strawberry flavor, use ripe, frozen strawberries. If you have fresh berries, learn how to freeze them at home with this quick helpful guide: How to Freeze Strawberries.
- Bananas - Adding bananas helps add creaminess to make a thicker, creamy smoothie bowl. It also helps to add natural sugar, so you don't need to add any additional sweeteners.
⁉️ Substitutions and Alterations
The best part of making at-home smoothie bowls is you can adjust the ingredients to suit your family's taste buds and dietary needs. Here are some popular smoothie additions you may enjoy.
- Add healthy fats: Try adding a tablespoon of chia seeds, hemp seeds, cashew butter, peanut butter, or any seed butter of choice.
- Add protein: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt or regular yogurt, plant-based protein such as vanilla protein powder or your favorite collagen.
- Add sweetness: If your fruit was not very ripe, you may need an additional tablespoon or so of honey or maple syrup to sweeten your smoothie bowl to taste.
- Swap out the strawberries: Feel free to use this strawberry smoothie bowl recipe as a base and swap the frozen strawberries with another fruit of choice such as frozen pineapple, mango, or blueberries. Avoid replacing the banana with another fruit - this ingredient makes a big difference in the consistency and sweetness of your smoothie bowl. Without banana, your smoothie bowl will be much less creamy!
- Add all ingredients to a blender. In the following order, add the almond milk, sliced banana, and frozen strawberries. You want to add the liquid on the bottom to encourage easy blending and prevent the frozen fruit from getting stuck in the blade.
- Blend until smooth. Add additional tablespoons of almond milk as needed, or to reach your desired consistency.
- Enjoy immediately. Pour the smoothie mixture into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. Some of the best smoothie bowl toppings are fresh fruit, granola, shredded coconut flakes, or a drizzle of raw honey for extra sweetness.
❄️ How to Store
To store: Enjoy strawberry smoothie bowls immediately while fresh. If you need to store leftover smoothie bowl for any reason, you can store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator and enjoy later as a thin smoothie. Or, you can pour leftover smoothie bowl in an ice cube tray and re-freeze the smoothie to re-blend at a later date.
To freeze: If you'd like to meal prep the ingredients for this strawberry smoothie bowl and create freezer smoothie packs, place the sliced banana and frozen strawberries into a freezer bag or glass jar. Then when ready to blend, add the smoothie ingredients along with the almond milk to the blender.
🔍 Recipe FAQs
If you're interested in making extra thick smoothie bowls, you need to use as little liquid as possible. Only add additional liquid if absolutely necessary. It can be helpful to use a high-speed blender that has a tamper to help push the fruit down into the blade and assist with blending.
Otherwise, you may need to pause the blender as needed to scrape down the sides of the blender until a smooth, thick consistency is reached.
An acai bowl is a type of smoothie bowl made with acai, a tropical fruit that is a dark pink/purple color. This smoothie bowl is made with frozen strawberries and banana and is therefore not considered an acai bowl.
Smoothie bowls are naturally high in sugar, but the sugar comes from whole fruits, which contain important vitamins and minerals. They can be an easy way to get in your daily servings of healthy fruits, extra fiber, and milk. Give this smoothie bowl a try as a healthy snack or healthy breakfast.
Yes, it is essential to use frozen fruits in a smoothie bowl recipe. Without frozen fruit, your banana strawberry smoothie bowl won't be cold or thick and instead will make a thin, room temperature smoothie.
💭 One More Tip
Check your frozen fruit ingredients label! If you are purchasing pre-packaged frozen fruit, always check the ingredients label. The only ingredient listed should be strawberries. If the ingredients label lists added sugar such as cane sugar, maltodextrin, or syrups, look for a better, more wholesome option.
🍴 Related Recipes
Share your cooking with me! If you make this recipe, I'd love to know! Tag @yourhomemadehealthy on Instagram or leave a comment with a rating and some feedback at the bottom of this page!
Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
- 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries
- 1 fresh banana
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- Topping suggestions: coconut flakes, granola, mini chocolate chips, fresh berries, sliced bananas
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until thick and smooth.
- Slowly add more almond milk, if needed, depending on your desired consistency.
- Pour smoothie mixture into a bowl. Top with your favorite fruit, granola, or other toppings.
- If you're buying pre-packaged frozen fruit, be sure to check the ingredients! Strawberries should be the only ingredient listed.
- Use this recipe as a base and add in any other of your favorite frozen fruits: pineapple, mango, or blueberries are all great options!
Want more recipes like this delivered right to your inbox? Be sure to subscribe above and never miss a thing!